Approximate mediaeval parish boundary superimposed on 1901 map.
The church of St John-on-the-wall was built in the 1300's thanks mainly to a benefactor, Walter Frampton who's tomb is now in the church. He was three times Mayor of Bristol in 1357, 1365 and 1374.
The church was originally joined to the church of St Lawrence and both churches shared the same tower.
The old church yard still exists and can be reached through Tailors Court.