Formed in 1975, the Bristol & Avon Family History Society aims to provide contacts between members by regular meetings and through a quarterly Journal to assist members with problems encountered during research work. The Society also works to promote and encourage the public study of family history, genealogy and associated interests. Like most other family history societies, the B&AFHS is run by enthusiastic volunteers.
We publish and sell a range of source/research materials, on CD, microfiche, booklets and recently we have also introduced digital downloads. Some of our older research material is only available on microfiche. We also sell books and maps of local interest, mainly published by other organisations.
Members and Non-members are warmly invited to make use of our research room at the Bristol Records Office. Take time to explore the indexes which may help you prepare for your visit. Browse the many pages of local history and family history data on this web site which we are happy to share with you. Here are some quick links to just some of the things you will find here in our 'virtual' research room:
- An on-line catalogue of all the items in our Research Room in Bristol
- Full transcriptions of nearly 1000 donated Birth/Death/Marriage certificates filed
- Name index to family tree information deposited by members
- Article index for all our Journals going back to 1975
- Historical listing of places of worship in the Bristol area
- Additions to our published CD indexes
- A link to request a search of our Monumental Inscriptions Index
- Surname index for our book about Chipping Sodbury Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
The area covered by the Society is the City of Bristol and the former County of Avon. This includes the southern parishes of Gloucestershire, the northern area of Somerset, and the City of Bath. We are in the south-west of England, about 100 miles west of London.
We hold regular meetings at three locations
Find out about how to join the Society or renew your membership.